The Palm Springs Historical Society, a non-profit organization, is an auxiliary of the Palm Springs Public Library. It was founded in 1955 to record, preserve, and display historical artifacts of the Palm Springs area. -The Village Green Heritage Center is a featured attraction. Special Collections and Exhibits - The two buildings operated by the Historical Society are located in downtown Palm Springs. The McCallum Adobe, the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs, was built in 1884 for John G. McCallum, the first permanent white settler. The relocated and restored adobe now exhibits an extensive collection of photographs, paintings, clothing, tools, books, and Indian ware from the earliest days of Palm Springs.